About Dr. Ann
» Meet Dr. Ann
» Recent News
» Photo Gallery
Tips to Avoid Prolonged Sitting
- Transition to a stand up desk– I have one and LOVE it!
- Drink enough water during the day that you will need to get up and urinate every two hours.
- Set your watch, phone, or computer to beep at regular intervals to remind you to get up and move. If I know my day will involve mostly sitting (like when I write), I try to stand-up every hour and do jumping jacks for 1 minute.
- Make all your phone calls standing up.
- Keep you office trash can and office fax machine a few feet away from your desk to force you to get up to use them.
- Strive to move during your leisure time– do not sit during times away from your office desk.
- Limit TV viewing, and get up and move during commercial breaks.
- Stand up during office meetings or better yet conduct meetings during a walk.
- Walk around during your lunch break.
- Be grateful for after work household chores that require you to move.
- The most important times to avoid prolonged sitting are in the immediate 1-2 hours after eating.
Exercise for a Bigger Brain